Saturday, December 24, 2011

How do I get Internet on my new desktop? (windstream modem question)?

Ok, I have two desktop computers. one of them has had internet by Windstream since i got it a few months ago. I recently got another one and I was wondering how I can get internet on it. do I have to buy another DSL modem? Is there any other way to get it to the 2nd desktop? I do have Wi-Fi, but i dont think that works with desktops





Thanks in advance.|||Yes, wifi works with desktops. You just need to buy a wireless router to send the signal form your main terminal, and a wireless receiver for the computer you want to connect.





If you don't want to go wireless, then you'll need to buy a 2nd modem and run another cable line to the room with that computer.|||What model modem is it?|||Check the back of your modem to see if there is an extra eithernet cable (the cable you get internet from right now) slot open. If there is a free spot then you need to get an eithernet cable that is long enough to reach your second computer and you should be fine.





Your other option is to buy a Wireless router which would connect into your modem. You would connect your old computer into the wireless router directly (with its eithernet cable) and set up the wireless router with a password and strength (strong enough that your new computer can read it). You will need a WiFi card in your new computer to connect to the wireless router. Set up the connection using the password you put into the wireless router and you are good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment